Kiratpur Sahib, one of the several towns founded by the Sikh Gurus, is situated on the left bank of Sutlej river in the Shivalik foothills. The foundation of Kiratpur was laid by the sixth Guru, Guru Hargobind, in May 1626 by ceremonially planting a sapling on a tract of land acquired from Tara Chand, the ruler of a small hill state, Kalur.

Much later, Guru Hargobind instructed his elder son, Baba Gurditta, that a new township had to be established. Because of the conflictual relationship with the Mughal emperors and Guru Arjan’s martyrdom at the instance of Emperor Jehangir, it was natural that the new place be at a safe distance from Lahore and Amritsar. Kiratpur, 76 kms from Chandigarh, is at the eastern boundary of the modern state of Punjab, whereas Amritsar is much closer to the western boundary.

Guru Hargobind settled in Kiratpur in 1635. Guru Sahib spent about 10 years of his life at Kiratpur Sahib. It remained the seat of the Sikh Gurus until Guru Tegh Bahadur founded a new village, Chak Nanaki, in 1665, about 8 kms further north of Kiratpur, the present Anandpur Sahib.
It is a sacred place for the Sikhs. Guru Nanak Dev Ji is said to have visited this place when it was little more than a wilderness. Guru Hargobind Ji, the sixth Guru spent the last few years of his life here. Both Guru Har Rai and Guru Harkrishan were also born at this place and they were blessed with the Gurgadi (Guruship) at this place.